Sunday, March 4, 2012

This and That and A Little Bit of Nothing

The last few weeks have found me busier than usual.  Here are just a few of the things that have been on my plate - besides chocolate covered AND filled doughnuts (thanks hubby!).
* friends, friends, friends:  Can we just say that sometimes my girls are not deprived socially?  I can not count the number of times they have spent the night away from home, or had someone spend the night here in the last few weeks.  I know one friend was at my house 4 days in a row - yep.  And we even took her on an out of state trip to a zoo.  Which brings me to the next thing on my list...
*zoo:  We loaded up and took a day trip to the New Orleans Zoo.  This was our 2nd day trip to New Orleans in the past 4 weeks or so BTW.  The New Orleans Zoo is beautiful and the animals are a big plus.  On this particular day the animals were especially active because the day was just a tad cool and cloudy.  A perfect get outside and do something day for animals AND humans.  I even took along Flat Stanley, who was sent to us from the great state of Ohio.  My hubby and children loved giving me strange stares when I would stop to take pics of Stanley.  I wish I could share a few here, but my computer is completely against all things camera related for the time being.
*grandparents:  We spent 3 days and 2 nights at my mom and dad's this week.  It is always fun to see other people chase after my kids. ;o)  I took my oldest daughter and my son on a trek to the old pasture pond only to get stuck once I realized I couldn't make it back across the small creek due to slippery mud while holding a 3 yo.  So... the proud and wonderful neighbor's dog gladly rescued us and showed us how to get out of the woods mud free, no joke!
*other grandparents:  We have gone over to my in-laws a few times to eat and hang out.  One day in particular was icy cold (in a southern Mississippi kind of way) but I bravely spent it outside with my son doing things such as digging in the sand, playing Frisbee with the dog, patting horses, and fishing.  It was a really great day - the grandparents didn't get to see my son that day, but I did and I loved it!
*sickness:  We have had an unusual for us amount of colds/sore throats/headaches in the last few weeks.  This current round of illness has had each of us on the couch at one time or another.  We are sick and tired of it, literally.
*diapers:  With some of our tax return money, hubby agreed that I could buy some ~fancy~ diapers!  My definition of a ~fancy~ diaper:  a too cute diaper that is easy for church, grandparents, and daddy, AKA  not.a.prefold.  So, I am now the very proud owner of 3 new Happy Heineys, a Fuzzibunz Elite (which I got for free from Kelly's Closet), and 2 new Kissaluvs pocket trainers which I use as pocket diapers for my 3 yo son who REFUSES to potty!  Yay me!  And since I use mostly prefolds I also splurged on 2 girly covers from Zookies - LOVE them.  Oh - and 3 preemie sized BabyKicks hemp prefolds.  Yep preemie size.  I use them to stuff pocket diapers and to layer with cotton prefolds from time to time.
*blogging:  I haven't blogged much, that is obvious.  I've tried.  Several times.  There were many days when the New Post page wouldn't load.  I don't know if the problem was on my end (old computer, dial up service) or theirs (Blogger).  I wish I had written my post ideas down with good ol' pen and paper because now I haven't a clue what they were.
*sewing:  Not really.  There is this dream I have of actually creating all the wonderful sewing projects I have planned in my mind and bought material for.  I did actually make a few wipes one day and I took the elastic out of an old project so I could turn it into something new, but -bleh- those don't count.  I want to make something beautiful and more useful than a wipe!
*firemen:  One beautiful Saturday morning we smelled something burning in our house so I turned off all the electrical breakers, we all went outside and I called the fire department.   Two firetrucks and half a dozen or so firemen later, they discovered that the ceiling fan in the living room was smoking.  After getting all of our fire hazards pointed out to me and being told that they would come back and install more smoke detectors, I am left with lights that do not work in my living room, my dining area, and my kitchen.  Thankfully most of the outlets and all of my appliances still work.  Now we need money for an electrician and a new ceiling fan, but at least we have a house.  My backyard neighbors weren't as fortunate.  The very next weekend after our incident, our neighbor's house burned.  Luckily for them they weren't home.  Or, maybe not lucky.  If we had not been home our house may have burned.  If they had been home maybe theirs wouldn't have?

Have the last few weeks been busier than normal for you?  What is something that has been on your plate?

No comments: